X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deleted account

Hi there,

I was wondering about my old account that seems to have been deleted while other accounts have been migrated. Is there any info about that?

We conducted a purge the other day. A lot of accounts that had been inactive for a long while, went by the wayside. We're just trying to clear up the member list a bit, especially of those names that haven't posted in a very long time.
    A balanced diet is an ice cream cone in each hand!

Comment

While not having posted a lot, I've had some nice conversations privately, including some conversation with Presston when about trying out MyBB and such. Sad there wasn't a notification prior to this, as I would've logged in / confirmed to want my account and conversations kept, even though I wasn't online for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Emilia View Post
        While not having posted a lot, I've had some nice conversations privately, including some conversation with Presston when about trying out MyBB and such. Sad there wasn't a notification prior to this, as I would've logged in / confirmed to want my account and conversations kept, even though I wasn't online for a while.
        Well, then all I can say is, you must have been out for a very long while. As to making the kinds of notifications you suggest, we purged well over a thousand accounts. No one has time to be able to notify that kind of number of people.

We apologize, but the number of inactive accounts had grown so huge, that we had to do something. In future, if members don't want their accounts purged, then try to be more active on the forums.

Lurking and people signing up for accounts to just see what is on a site, but then never participating, has always been a real problem for web administrators for small sites like ours. We even had over fifty accounts where people who registered them, but then never even came back to validate them.

Inactive accounts hold up storage space. They can create slowdown on a website, so we decided at last to do something about it. This was our first purge in my memory of we running this website. But it needed to be done. Having as many inactive accounts as we had, was bordering on the absolutely ridiculous.
        A balanced diet is an ice cream cone in each hand!

Comment

It's okay, it isn't my intention to start a discussion, I'm just sad about the lost history. I'd still like to add some comments, no offense intended!

Originally posted by Hoofprint View Post
          No one has time to be able to notify that kind of number of people.
          vBulletin should have a mass-email feature, as any other major forum software, that's what I always used for something like that.

Originally posted by Hoofprint View Post
          Inactive accounts hold up storage space. They can create slowdown on a website, so we decided at last to do something about it.
          I'd be surprised if it was more than some megabytes database storage. And even on a really bad web hosting, having 50 or 50000 rows shouldn't make that much of a difference. That's why there's indexes and why forum software devs invest a lot of time optimizing their sql queries.

But you're right, of course. It was my fault not logging in for almost a year and I fully understand that you don't want thousands of inactive accounts sitting around on a small forum with few active members. I just feels like a ghost town, another incident in the making or spambots waiting for the right moment.

You can close the thread, as I got the answer I was looking for. Feel free to DM me if you want.

Comment

Working...
          X