vram error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vram error

I turned on my PC today and especially on my desktop and in firefox I see static or flickering squares and missing characters.
    Dr. Google told me that it's most likely a vram error and I need a new card.

Does anyone have any experiences with this issue?
    The card still works but it's annoying...

vram.jpg vram2.jpg
    • Site Head Administrator

I had the same problem like 15 years ago. It's most likely your graphics card. Before buying a new one, what u can try tho is put your current card in the oven.

Comment

I did not find any information if it's a faulty chip that needs to be replaced or 'just' a bad solder connection.
      I have already ordered another 3060 to have a replacement if the current graphics card dies. When it arrives, I'll have a look at the old card and try to resolder the chips with a hot air station...

Comment

The oven was no joke, it already helped many people.

Comment

Originally posted by Pappnase View Post
          The oven was no joke, it already helped many people.
          This isn't a good idea. By thermally stressing the board, you might get the graphics chip to come to life again for a brief time. This will not help at all with memory issues like this. To reflow solder you have to be at least 350C, and that will end up doing more damage, not to mention warping the board. I can tell by the image that this is a VRAM error. Not sure which bank, but one of them is either disconnected or bad. There are folks that repair cards out there now. So I would probably ask one of them to look at and fix it. It'd be good to have another card on hand, anyway.
          Clip Clop.
          "Hello?"
          Clop Clip.
          "Who's there?"
          Clip Scuff.
          "You're a?"
          Whumpth Thud.

Comment

I heard about 'baking' it in the oven, but plastic connectors and electrolytic capacitors (if present on the board) would not like it if I heat them up too much.
            I have got another rtx 3060 now and I guess I'll try to reflow the memory chips and see if it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbird View Post
              I heard about 'baking' it in the oven, but plastic connectors and electrolytic capacitors (if present on the board) would not like it if I heat them up too much.
              I have got another rtx 3060 now and I guess I'll try to reflow the memory chips and see if it helps.
              It likely won't. You'll have to use another computer and run the MATS test on it. It will run through all of the vram and then tell you which bank of memory is bad. Reflowing it might help if it's a bad connection, but if not you'd have to replace the chip. There is some repair people that do this. So if you're not comfortable with it, that's an option.
              Clip Clop.
              "Hello?"
              Clop Clip.
              "Who's there?"
              Clip Scuff.
              "You're a?"
              Whumpth Thud.

Comment

I would be able to reflow or replace components, but I have never worked on a graphics card yet.
                It seems that this test requires a bit of experience, so perhaps it's better to look for a repair service then.
                I guess they know where to look for the problem and have spare parts if required.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbird View Post
                  I would be able to reflow or replace components, but I have never worked on a graphics card yet.
                  It seems that this test requires a bit of experience, so perhaps it's better to look for a repair service then.
                  I guess they know where to look for the problem and have spare parts if required.
                  Yeah. Since you're in the EU, I would recommend Krisfix. He's really good.

Krisfix - Reparatur von Elektronik | Handy, Tablet, Spielkonsolen usw.
                  Clip Clop.
                  "Hello?"
                  Clop Clip.
                  "Who's there?"
                  Clip Scuff.
                  "You're a?"
                  Whumpth Thud.

Comment

Thanks for the link.
                    I watched some videos on youtube about the MODS/MATS test and I don't really understand it. So I'll definitely send it in for repair.

Comment

Working...
                    X